Now days one of the big issues for school districts is offering healthy food options. Many parents are concerned about the high obesity rates for children. They want to know that healthy food options are at least available. This extends even into extracurricular activities like sports and the foods that are offered at concession stands.
There are other reasons to offer healthy options at the school concession stands too. Many families are very busy and the sports concession stand may provide the family meal for the evening. Having healthy choices will give people more to choose from than just the usual burgers and hot dogs.
Providing consideration for people with dietary restrictions is also another reason to offer a variety of foods. Offering lighter options for those on weight loss diets, dairy free items and vegetarian options will be a welcome change for some of your sports fans.
Here’s seven tips for having a healthier school sports concession stand fundraiser:
1. Offer deli sandwiches in addition to burgers
2. Have light mayo and other condiments available
3. Offer granola bars and dried fruit bars
4. Sell Baked Lays and Sun-chips in addition to other chip brands
5. If your stand has ice cream bars, also have dairy free fruit bars or sorbet
6. Offer trail mix in addition to other snacks
7. Veggie lovers Pizza in addition to pizza with meat
Concession stands are a great school sports fundraiser that has been a tradition in many schools. Your concession stand can be unique by offering a variety of foods – including healthy food options.
About the Author
Angela Costas enjoys helping school groups find fundraisers. She is a frequent writer for TopSchoolFundraisers.com a site that provides many free fundraising ideas including school spirit, school carnivals and much more.